It was like a death in the family. Okay, maybe not THAT severe but when we all found out the Kelly's Irish Pub on 53rd in Davenport was closing back in November some of us could only process the news by employing the Kübler-Ross Five Stages of Grief model.
- Denial. I get it. Bars close. Quite a few of my favorite Quad City watering holes have had their last ever last call. But KELLYS??? Can't be true.
- Anger. As a rule, I tend not to drink when I'm angry. I rushed through this step and got right into step 3.
- Bargaining. What if I vowed to get to Kelly's more often? Surely there must be some way of stopping this. What do I have to do?
- Depression. I tend to also not drink when I'm depressed. It's another one of my rules that's served me well through the years. The thought of St. Patrick's Day 2018 without the Kelly's party was a genuine bummer. I spent more time on this step that Anger.
- Acceptance. I guess nothing gold can stay. We had a BLAST at the 13 St. Patrick's Day Festivals at Kelly's but maybe it's time to start a new tradition.
And then in January, Front Street Brewery announced they were going to be bringing Kelly's St. Patrick's Day BACK! Tonight and tomorrow at Front Street Brewery's Taproom in downtown Davenport Kelly's will be taking over the Freight House parking lot in downtown Davenport. The massive HEATED tent is back. The Irish Dancers are back. The live music, corned beef and cabbage and skydiving Leprechauns are all BACK. Heck, I'M back!
And if green beer isn't your thing (I get it) they'll have plenty of Front Street beers (as well as plenty of Green Miller Lite). It's going to be a lot of fun and promises to be "a party like the Quad Cities has never seen before!"
I'll be there doing a remote broadcast on WOC this afternoon from 4-6. I hope you'll join me in celebrating the start of another brand new Quad City St. Patrick's Day tradition. See you there!
5:00 - Irish Dancers
6:00-8:00 - QC Rock Academy Bands (Hum Hum & The Crash, VanderVeer and solo artists)
8:15-9:45 - North of 40
10:00-12:00 - Bugeye Sprite
9:00am - Doors open for parade pre-party
10:00 - Irish Dancers
11:00-1:00 - Irish Music/Parade
1:00 - The “Original” Skydiving Leprechauns
1:00-2:15 - QC Rock Academy Bands (Fool Me Once and Been There Done That)
2:30-3:45 - Class of '82
4:00 - Irish Dancers
5:00-6:30 - Wicked Liz & the Bellyswirls
6:45-8:00 - Whiskey Motel
8:15-10:00 - Divebomb
10:15-12:00 - Electric Shock - The AC/DC Show