Rock Island Fire Department reminds residents of extension cord dangers

The Rock Island Fire Department is reminding residents about the dangers of extension cords.

The Department says a recent fire in Rock Island was caused by the "use and abuse of extension cords."

Fire officials say that they see numerous fires started by extension cords every year. "The Fire Code is very clear that extension cords shall not be used in place of permanent wiring. What makes matters worse, is when large high-demand items such as appliances are plugged into extension cords."

The department asks that residents keep their families safe by taking a look at their homes to eliminate the use of extension cords. "Especially if they are used in conjunction with appliances or other items that use a large amount of electricity."

If you would like more information about extension cord safety, you can contact the Fire Prevention Bureau at 309-732-2803.

Sponsored Content

Sponsored Content